Each year members organise rallies and cruises in company for other members to enjoy. Some of these are organised by section secretaries, but anyone can organise them.
The Kent, Suffolk and Essex sections arrange three rallies to which they invite members of all three sections, but everyone is welcome to attend. They are based around the East Coast cruising area and normally take place on the bank holiday weekends.
The Baltic section organises annual rallies which are thoroughly researched in advance by the organisers. These are very popular and attract many of the cruisers in this area. In the year 2000 the largest and most ambitious rally ever organised by CA was held in the Baltic. It took three years of planning; there were over 40 boats and around 100 people taking part. Almost all the boats started from, and returned to, UK and the exercise was spread over the whole summer. With such a large number of boats we could not have them all going along together because many harbours they needed to visit are too small so we had 2 routes - one going clockwise (northabout) and one anti clockwise (southabout) round the Baltic Sea.
Mediterranean-based members normally have the option of one or two cruises each year.
Some of the rallies that took place over the summer of 2016 were:
- East Coast Spring Rally, run by the Suffolk section for all CA east coast sailors
- Rally at Limehouse, spring bank holiday weekend, run by the Essex section
- Baltic Rally - Ystad-Kalmar, was organised by the Baltic section
- Asturias Rally, was run by the Biscay section, starting in Ribadesella
- Midsummer Rallies in Western France were organised by the Biscay Section
- Channel section rally held in Plymouth
- Solent section annual meet at Gins Farm, Beaulieu
These are some of the rallies from previous years
- The Baltic Section Rally around Rügen (Germany) starting in Stralsund and ending in Swinoujscie in Poland
- A Turkish Cruise in Company 'Along the Lycian Coast'
- The Mediterranean section organised a land rally to Cappadocia in April
- The Baltic section cruised to Kuressaare, Estonia
- A 'Summer Meet' was organised in Fowey by the South West section.
- The Biscay section organised events tocoincide with the longest day in 2014.
- The Essex section Explored Zeeland,
- Sandwich was the venue for the Kent section rally over the Summer bank holiday weekend in 2014
- British Virgin Isles rendezvous
- East Coast Spring Rallies
- North Sea Summer Rally and Cruise in Company
- ST. PETERSBURG 2013 – Baltic Section Rally
- Cherbourg to Jersey via Guernsey
- Coastal rally to Southwold
- Dodecanese Cruise In Company
All CA members and their guests are welcome to attend. The dates and venues of rallies can be found on the individual section pages or on the Events list. Details are also contained in the section newsletters, so if you are sailing in one of our cruising areas, why not join the section.
Here are some quotes about CA rallies from crew members:
We went on the Channel Isles rally with Stewart and Judy which was our first CA event. Despite the poor weather the rally was well organised and run – being informative, sociable and fun. We found the flexibility and informal format useful in being able to join and leave the rally at any point.
The reason I was up for going on a rally which I didnt think would be my thing, was that it seemed a controlled way of getting off the boat! There were so many stops which sounded interesting and also the chance to go and visit some ancient sites. It seemed a surefire way of avoiding Pressing On!